“Several years ago we approached Carilion about ways to advance the practice of orthopaedics in the region,” says Dr. Hugh Hagan. “Together we can create a regional referral center for orthopaedic care.”
“We already have a common vision for the future of orthopaedics in the region, and our commitment to service and excellence in patient care,” says Carilion Bone and Joint physician Dr. Thomas Shuler. “Forming a new, comprehensive practice is the best way to move that vision forward.”
Carilion Clinic – Orthopaedics builds a comprehensive and accomplished orthopaedic center. The practice will be:
- Devoted to excellence in patient care involving musculoskeletal disorders and injuries.
- The only orthopaedic center in the region to provide a full-range of services; joint replacement and reconstruction; arthroplasty and sports medicine; spine, fracture and trauma care; hand and microvascular surgery; foot and ankle surgery ;and pediatric orthopaedics.
- Part of Carilion Clinic’s patient-centered philosophy, building an integrated care program alongside colleagues in neurosurgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and trauma surgery.
- Dedicated to medical education and research, utilizing the synergy and common focus provided by the Virginia Tech Carilion School of medicine and Research Institute, Carilion Clinic – Orthopaedics to expand medical education and research to focus on developing new technologies and treatments.
- Focused on the future, continuing to develop physician recruitment strategies that will ensure the future availability of needed services to the community, remaining on the leading edge of musculoskeletal care.
(From press release.)